Flash Drive with NTFS file systemTo: "List C&C" <email@example.com>
Subject: [CandC] How to format a USB flash drive with the NTFS file system
From: Baillie McKenny
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:39:19 +1000
From Southside about a month ago...
For those wishing to format a USB flash drive with the NTFS file system:
during subsequent use of the drive, you want to be able to remove it
safely without having to flush the cache first, restore this default
setting by repeating steps 2 to 7 above, but select 'Optimize for quick
removal' at step 6.
- Insert USB flash drive.
click on 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in Notification Area of Task
Bar, which brings up dialog box headed 'Safely Remove Hardware'.
- Tick 'Display device components' at bottom left.
- Highlight line describing brand and other details of flash drive.
- Select 'Properties'. Click 'Policies' tab.
- Select 'Optimize for performance'.
- OK/Close all.
- Go to 'My Computer' and right click 'Removable Disk (<device letter>: )' corresponding to the flash drive.
- Select 'Format' and format the device, selecting NTFS etc as required.
PS: Thanks to John Agnew for his input...