More on Working with Wikis
Finding Help Information
Some guidance on searching for information beyond that provided in our Getting_Started_Editing_Wiki_Pages.
On our (PCUG) wiki's look at:
- the navigation Help page which contains a variety of useful links
- the Editing help page, which may be accessed via the link at the bottom when editing any wiki page
Otherswise, look at:
- Mediawiki Help guide contents which provides links to a large number of pages with more info
- MediaWiki reference card is a one page summary of important MediaWiki editing commands, intended to be printed out and used next to the computer.
- located in the left menu bar (or in the drop down menu in the mobile view) are 'navigation', 'search' and 'toolbox'
- these serve as quick access to information areas, or functions more likely to be accessed frequently.
To print a wiki page, first select the Printable version toolbox link to display a page formatted for printing. Then use your browser's Print command to print this page.
Page and Change History
To access the history of who has made changes to any wiki page, just select the History tab on the top of any page.
The What links here toolbox link displays a page with details of all other pages on this wiki that links to the current page.
The navigation Recent changes link displays a list of all recent changes to any of the wiki pages.
The SpecialPages link in the toolbox takes you to an index of a large number of special pages, which are automatically created by the wiki system upon request, that provide a wide variety of information on the operation of the wiki, including:
and many others. Just explore to see!
Moving (renaming) a page means giving it another name, and is done by using the "move" tab. This renames the page, but also moves it's editing history, and leaves behind a redirect on the old page, so that links (which are not automatically changed) do not break.
Is not recommended as it goes against the wiki philosophy of sharing information. Rather you should just use the #Moving/Renaming Pages capability.
However, if there is a really good reason to delete a page, then one of the wiki sysops can do this. You need to contact the website committee to request this.