News and Notices
This page contains News and Notices relating to PCUG.
nb. You are now reading information on the PCUG Information - Members Informing Members - Wiki.
General information about PCUG is provided on the main PCUG website.
Internet Services (TIP) Information is available on the TIP Wiki
Training overview is available on the main PCUG website Training Information. Specific Course information is available on this wiki Training Courses.
We welcome expressions of interest from Trainers wishing to run courses, and Participants seeking courses. Please contact the [PCUG Office] for either/or.
- 1 PCUG AGM Monday 14 October, 2013 6.30pm
- 2 Training Room for Hire
- 3 National Cyber Security Week Partner
- 4 PCUG Member Survey Update
- 5 PCUG in 2013
- 6 Training Courses in 2013
- 7 PCUG Christmas Party - Sat 1 December, 2012 11am - 3.30pm
- 8 PCUG Centre & Office Closure dates
- 9 PCUG AGM Draft Minutes
- 10 PCUG Annual General Meeting
- 11 PCUG Office Hours
- 12 PCUG Training Room - available for use by members, member groups or External hire (NP Orgs or Commercial Hire)
- 13 TIP Equipment Move Completed
- 14 PCUG Information Wiki Announced
- 15 PCUG Website volunteers
- 16 PCUG Volunteer Job Description
- 17 Stay Smart Online
- 18 TIO
- 19 Welcome New PCUG Members
- 20 PCUG on Facebook
- 21 PCUG Committee - Volunteers needed to fill key vacancies
- 22 E-waste Recycling Information
- 23 CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
- 24 Older News and Notices
PCUG AGM Monday 14 October, 2013 6.30pm
Item Date 29 July 2013
- The PCUG AGM will be held in the GCCC Large Conference Rm (Ground Floor)
- Nominations for Committee are now open.
- Link to full information will follow once supporting web-work is completed.
- The Volunteer of the Year will be announced during the evening.
- The Meeting will be followed by a presentation TBA.
Training Room for Hire
Item Date 21 May 2013
- The PCUG Training Room is available for hire to groups in the community for $125 per hour for non-member groups, or $65 per hour for member non-profit groups.
- Full details are available via our PCUG Training Information page
- We are seeking support from members to assist coordinate the promotion of PCUG Training facilities in our community.
- An honoraria may be applicable for every successful hire arranged and overseen by a member (just as trainers running PCUG courses may claim honoraria). Details of this are still being confirmed by the PCUG Committee.
National Cyber Security Week Partner
Item Date 21 May, 2013
- Follow the news on the Stay Smart Online website
- PCUG is an official partner. Check out the PCUG Facebook Page for updates
PCUG Member Survey Update
Item Date 30 Apr 2013
- you can see a summary of the responses at Member_Survey_2013
PCUG in 2013
Item Date 29 January, 2013
- Welcome back to PCUG in 2013
- The PCUG Office re-opens for business on Tuesday 29 January, 2013 at 10am.
- Many thanks to the PCUG Volunteers who kept services and enquiries of the group maintained during the closure period.
- We look forward to 2013 being a time for PCUG moving ahead, with the support of Volunteers who are the back-bone of the clubs success and future.
Training Courses in 2013
Item Date revised 21 May, 2013
- Further Courses for 2013 are now being scheduled.
- Course Information is listed on the Training Courses.
- As courses fill, e/o are accepted for further courses, trainers willing.
- If there is a topic you wish to learn, let us know.
- Can you teach or assist a course? Trainer Honoraria applicable.
- Contact the Training Team via the contact form.
PCUG Christmas Party - Sat 1 December, 2012 11am - 3.30pm
Item Date 2 November, 2012
- PCUG Centre Holder.
- Limited refreshments non-alcholic drinks provided. Please bring plate & BYOG.
- See you there !!!
PCUG Centre & Office Closure dates
Item Date 2 November, 2012
- COB 2pm Wednesday 20 December 2012
- Open For Business: 10am Tue 29 January, 2013
- PCUG is closed for the Xmas & New Year Period from Thur 20 December, 2012 to Monday 28 January 2013.
- Business will resume after the Australia day long weekend.
- Member support will continue to be monitored, and may be accessed per the guidelines on the PCUG help pages Help and Advice.
PCUG AGM Draft Minutes
Item Date 2 November, 2012
- draft minutes now available Committee Minutes Index
- note that these are draft format, to be accepted at the next AGM, with amendments if required
PCUG Annual General Meeting
Item revised 01 September 2012
- The 2012 PCUG AGM is scheduled for Wednesday 24 October 2012, at 6.30pm for a 7.00pm start
- The venue is the Grant Cameron Community Centre Conference Room, 27 Mulley Street HOLDER ACT 2611
- Full details available from [the PCUG website AGM Info page]
- Please note that the closure date for committee nominations is Thursday 18 October, 2012, 2pm (COB for the PCUG Office).
- The PCUG Volunteer of the Year for 2012 announcement will be deferred to the next appropriate opportunity, as the nominated volunteer is not available to be present on the night of the AGM.
- A presentation will also follow the AGM (as below)
Presentation After the AGM
- The Presentation after the AGM will be Hosted by members of the LINUX SIG.
- Please see the [the PCUG website AGM Info page] for full details.
PCUG Office Hours
Item updated 01 September 2012
- The PCUG Office Manager's core days at the Office are Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
- The Office is staffed by Volunteers other weekdays.
- Please note that due to low activity on weekends, week-end opening times have been suspended.
- Phone messages are monitored by the office team, with arrangements in place for ongoing monitoring during public holiday periods (this cover is being extended to weekends per willing & available volunteers).
- For general assistance advice, please see the HELP information page on the PCUG website 
PCUG Training Room - available for use by members, member groups or External hire (NP Orgs or Commercial Hire)
Item Updated 01 September 2012
- The PCUG Training room is refurbished with Windows7 Operating system.
- Training room hire is an under-utilized facility available to PCUG members and NP groups, or commercial hire.
- Word of mouth has resulted in several hires this year. Help spread the word. See our training information page  for information.
TIP Equipment Move Completed
'Item Updated: 20 Aug, 2012'
- As announced to all members by email, the TIP admins have moved all our equipment to a new (cheaper) location in a different TransACT server room, and have restored all services. We had most, including broadband Internet access and mail & web services, back up Sat afternoon, 18 Aug 2012. Unfortunately, dialup services were not restored until 8:30am Mon 20 Aug when TransACT reconnected the phone lines to our new location. We apologise for this delay, which was beyond our control, and thankyou again for your understanding.
PCUG Information Wiki Announced
'Item Date 8 Aug, 2012'
We are pleased to announce the release of the new PCUG Information Wiki, which now hosts this News and Notices page, and provides a place where PCUG members can share information with each other. We very much encourage your participation in the growth of this site!
PCUG Website volunteers
'Item Date 20 July, 2012'
The main PCUG website is administered using Wordpress. The site is in need of additional volunteer input to support. Please contact the PCUG Office Manager if interested, or for further information.
PCUG Volunteer Job Description
Item Date: 18 July 2012
To make it easier for potential volunteers to know what's involved, we are seeking input to job descriptions of activities supported by volunteers within PCUG. We welcome input from anyone who is or has supported any role, for this information to be incorporated into the PCUG website Volunteer area. Feedback to Karen (PCUG Office Manager)
Stay Smart Online
Item Date 23June2012
The Australian Government's Cybersecurity Website  provides information for Australian internet users on the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online. Full information, including subscription to newsletters, on their website.
Item Date 23June2012
PCUG is a member of the TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY OMBUDSMAN 
who are a free and fair dispute resolution service for small business and residential customers who have a complaint about their telephone or internet service in Australia. See their website for full information.
Welcome New PCUG Members
Item Date 23June2012
Welcome Roger Quarterman (Treasurer), Peter Pan (Assistant Treasurer) and Paul Richter (Committee Member).
Full committee details may be viewed by members on the PCUG Home page (after logging into the site)  under the Administration Tab.
PCUG on Facebook
'Item Date 01June2012
When we ask new members how they heard about our group, it is often by word of mouth. Help spread the word about PCUG. Like our Facebook page . This page also needs willing administrators. Contact the office for information or feedback.
PCUG Committee - Volunteers needed to fill key vacancies
Item Date 28May2012
The PCUG Committee is in need of Volunteers. The committee acts to represent your interests in the management of club activities and other requirements as outlined in our Constitution. 3 Executive Positions are now vacant, with several general committee spots also available. Meetings are held once a month, and discussion of matters is otherwise by email. The PCUG cannot function with-out an active and viable committee. Please contact the PCUG Committee  or Office Manager  with expressions of interest.
E-waste Recycling Information
Item Date 02May2012
For the information about recycling of computer equipment.
"Chief Minister Gallagher has announced that the days of paying through the nose to dispose of a television are at an end ..."
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
Item Date 01May2012
An all-member email was recently circulated early 2012 "YOUR PCUG NEEDS YOU" outlining the need for Volunteers.
Thank you to those who have responded, as we work to connect valued time and/or skills with support areas in PCUG. Please contact the PCUG Office Manager  to discuss any aspect of this further.
Our motto is USERS HELPING USERS. Information sharing is the backbone of our success. Share and learn. Contributions to the group can be of any scale. Expertise, as required, is sought out. There is alot our group can achieve with shared effort. More information available on the PCUG website 
Older News and Notices
Access older news and notices than shown on this page using the above link, or by browsing the category link below.