News and Notices
This page contains News and Notices relating to PCUG.
nb. You are now reading information on the PCUG Information - Members Informing Members - Wiki.
General information about PCUG is provided on the main PCUG website.
Internet Services (TIP) Information is available on the TIP Wiki
We welcome expressions of interest from Trainers wishing to run courses, and Participants seeking courses. Please contact PCUG by phone: 1800 728 853 - (option 3) for either/or.
- 1 PCUG Changed Contact Details
- 2 PCUG iSig
- 3 PCUG Annual General Meeting Wednesday 15 October, 2014 6.30pm
- 4 Cyber Security, and Stay Smart Online Awareness Week 2nd-6th June, 2014
- 5 Update on PCUG Mail Services
- 6 Update on Closure of Tip Internet Services
- 7 Training Room for Hire
- 8 Training Courses for 2017
- 9 Help and Advice
- 10 Non-attachment Policy - Reversal
- 11 PCUG Office Hours
- 12 Call For Volunteers
- 13 PCUG Volunteer Job Descriptions
- 14 PCUG Committee - Volunteers needed to fill key vacancies
- 15 PCUG Website volunteers
- 16 PCUG Information Wiki
- 17 PCUG on Facebook
- 18 TIO
- 19 E-waste & Recycling Information
- 20 Older News and Notices
PCUG Changed Contact Details
Item date 17/12/2014
- Please note that whilst the PCUG centre has closed, the PCUG is still operating and is an active user group!
- Send mail to: PCUG (ACT) Inc, PO Box 3242, WESTON CREEK, ACT 2611.
- Phone: 1800 728 853
- Full details on Contact Us
Item date 27/02/2015
PCUG Annual General Meeting Wednesday 15 October, 2014 6.30pm
Item date 22/08/2014
- PCUG's AGM is scheduled for Wednesday 15 October, 2014
- Venue is at the Grant Cameron Community Centre (Large Conference Room), 27 Mulley Street, Holder, ACT 2611
- We look forward to this being an interactive time and informative time, with the Committee elect, Volunteer of the Year, & Guest Speaker (TBA).
- See full details on the PCUG website AGM info page
- Light refreshments will be available for anyone in attendance.
- Contact Karen via the Office Manager contact form with any queries.
Cyber Security, and Stay Smart Online Awareness Week 2nd-6th June, 2014
Item revised 19/5/2014
- PCUG is an official partner of the Cyber Security Awareness program.
- A guest from SSO will speak on Cybersecurity Awareness on Wed 4 June, 10.30-11.30am, at the PCUG Centre. Please rsvp via the training contact form if interested in attending (for catering purposes).
- We have an area on this information wiki for information to help members, that includes tips, and also where to look for information alerts http://www.pcug.org.au/info/index.php/Scams
- Follow the news on the Stay Smart Online website
The Australian Government's Cybersecurity Website  provides information for Australian internet users on the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online. Full information, including subscription to newsletters, on their website.
- The PCUG Facebook Page is another forum of information sharing
Update on PCUG Mail Services
Item date 05/4/2014
- PCUG mail and personal website services have now successfully migrated to our new hosted server.
- Some members are finding a they cannot access mail due to incorrect mail settings.
- Please see the information on the TIP Wiki - Email for information on how to correctly configure your email settings.
Update on Closure of Tip Internet Services
Item date 24/2/2014
- The link below is an information page on the closure of TIP services, and is updated as information is confirmed.
- Closure of Tip Internet Services Information Page
- Please note that PCUG members WILL be able to retain their PCUG email addresses and personal webspace.
- Most importantly, the closure of TIP is not the closure of PCUG. Your club is continuing the variety of activity that members enjoy via SIGs, Training, Email Lists and more.
Training Room for Hire
Item revised 1/07/2017
- The PCUG Training Room is available, for hire - Room 35, Floor 2A, Grant Cameron Community Centre, 27 Mulley Street, Holder ACT.
- 12 Dell PCs, with Windows10, are provided. There is a trainer's PC available, with a data projector, and screen.
- We are seeking a training coordinator who will:-
- collect details of courses of interest to PCUG members;
- seek trainers from the PCUG membership;
- when a course is viable, advise those on the waiting list;
- collect payments for, and follow up courses.
Training Courses for 2017
Item Date: 1/07/2017
- The 2017 program is up and growing fast.
- Web details of Training Courses are on this Info Wiki Training Courses page.
- Expressions of Interest from both potential trainers and trainees are being accepted.
- As courses fill, expressions of interest are accepted for further courses, trainers willing.
- If there is a topic you wish to learn, let us know.
- Can you teach or assist a course? Trainer Honoraria applicable.
- Please contact 1800 728 853 Eileen Dunstone (Training Coordinator) or the Training Team via the contact form.
Help and Advice
Item Date 24/2/2014
- per the guidelines on the PCUG help pages Help and Advice.
Non-attachment Policy - Reversal
Item revised 24/2/2014
- [Ref: PCUG Committee Meeting 20 May, 2013] For practicality of Office and Training activity, a previous policy of non-attachments (to emails) has been reversed.
- Members are advised to continue to exercise extreme caution with links and attachments in emails, especially where the source of information is not known.
- Further general scam and spam awareness information is provided on this wiki
PCUG Office Hours
Item revised 27/02/2015
- The PCUG no longer has an office, or Office Manager.
- Make contact with PCUG (volunteers) using 1800 728 853, e-mail or post to PCUG (ACT) Inc, PO Box 3242, Weston Creek ACT 2611.
- Phone messages are monitored by volunteers with arrangements in place for ongoing monitoring during public holiday periods (this cover is being extended to weekends by willing & available volunteers).
- For general assistance or advice, please see the HELP information page on the PCUG website 
Call For Volunteers
'Item revised 24/2/2014
- An all-member email was circulated early 2012 "YOUR PCUG NEEDS YOU" outlining the need for Volunteers.
- Thank you to those who have responded, as we work to connect valued time and/or skills with support areas in PCUG.
- Please contact the PCUG Secretary  to discuss any aspect of this further.
- Our motto is USERS HELPING USERS. Information sharing is the backbone of our success. Share and learn.
- Contributions to the group can be of any scale. Expertise, as required, is sought out. There is a lot our group can achieve with shared effort. More information available on the PCUG website 
PCUG Volunteer Job Descriptions
Item revised: 18/04/2016
- What is a Volunteer? At the July 2013 Committee Meeting, it was agreed "that a volunteer be defined as a person filling a role for which there is a description which identifies the role and the expected benefits to the organisation”.
- It is important that we have clearly defined descriptions of Volunteer Roles. The Activities and Opportunities area of this wiki is where these descriptions are recorded, and may be contributed to by any member. This will make it easier for potential volunteers to know what's involved, as well as identify the volunteer roles in PCUG.
- We welcome input from anyone who is or has supported any role, by editing the Activities and Opportunities wiki page, or feedback to "office" volunteers 
PCUG Committee - Volunteers needed to fill key vacancies
Item revised 18/04/2016
- The PCUG Committee is still much in need of Volunteers.
- The committee acts to represent your interests in the management of club activities and other requirements as outlined in our Constitution.
- The Vice President position is now vacant, with several general committee spots also available.
- Main Monthly Meetings are held once a month, and discussion of matters is otherwise by email.
- The PCUG cannot function with-out an active and viable committee.
- Please contact the PCUG Committee  or "office" volunteers  with expressions of interest.
PCUG Website volunteers
Item revised 24/2/2014
- The main PCUG website is administered using Wordpress.
- The site is in need of additional volunteer input to support.
- Please contact (Phone: 1800 728 853) if interested, or for further information.
PCUG Information Wiki
Item revised 24/2/2014
- PCUG's Information Wiki continues to grow, and has been a success since its launch mid 2012.
- It provides a place where PCUG members can share information with each other, via your TIP login.
- We very much encourage your participation in the growth of this site!
- New to editing wikis?? See our Wiki Help in the navigation on the left, for TIPs on getting started.
PCUG on Facebook
Item revised 18/04/2016
- When we ask new members how they heard about our group, it is often by word of mouth.
- Help spread the word about PCUG. We are now linked with other Clubs in Australia - (Australian Seniors Computer Clubs Association - ASCCA), and overseas (Association of Personal Computer User Groups - APCUG).
- Like our Facebook page . We have 79 likes at the time of this notice review.
- This page also needs willing administrators. Contact (Phone: 1800 728 853) for information or feedback.
Item revised 26/12/2014
PCUG was a member of the TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY OMBUDSMAN 
who are a free and fair dispute resolution service for small business and residential customers who have a complaint about their telephone or internet service in Australia. See their website for full information.
PCUG provided (until Mar 2014) ISP services through TIP (The Internet Project). TIP continues to manager members' username accounts, store their e-mail on a server, and provide an area for a website, and files.
E-waste & Recycling Information
Item revised 24/2/2014
- For an A-Z guide on information about recycling and waste management in the ACT, including computer equipment, see the
Older notices, with ongoing information are revised periodically to ratify current information. Access older news and notices than shown on this page using the above link, or by browsing the category link below.