From Info Wiki
Lawrie Brown is an Australian computer security guru, science fiction fan, mad keen dancer, and lover of the great outdoor landscape.
He is a long term TIP admin, and is also currently secretary of the PCUG.
See his personal homepage for more details.
Pages Being Worked On
- Getting Started Editing Wiki Pages
- More on Working with Wikis
- Wiki Skins
- Android App Recommendations
- Draft Page
Markup Play Area - Anything Goes!
Lawrie's PCUG Members Survey Summary
- membership is valued by a significant majority, and recommeded by many
- likely to lose ~38% is close TIP, high, but not as high as feared
- 61% of membership is over 65, essentially no younger members
- ~30% have used centre / courses / SIGs in mid-term, fewer currently; ~35% have never used these; ~30% may use in future
- only 16% likely/will volunteer, need these people to get in touch
- see very mixed opinions about the future of the group
- many indicated they wanted to retain PCUG email/web (as we intend)
- many suggested we embrace a wider range of platforms and open-systems, esp smartphones & tablets; possibly even to point of changing name
- mixed opinions suggesting that we need to attract younger members for the continued health of the group BUT others warned this was seen to be very problematic, even disasterous for other groups in similar circumstances
- some suggest scaling down services, dropping centre, TIP etc; others would like to see more services at centre, perhaps help with systems
- several noted we need to stay community-focused as "users helping users"
- several noted they would like a regular newsletter (editor needed!); others commented that given ease of finding info on web, this was no longer so important
- some suggested we should offer more training esp for older users, others noted that ACT libraries are funded to provide such services, so why are we?
- courses suggested: smartphone (likely android & iOS separate), digital photography & photo editing, networking, adv excel, adv access, Win8, linux
- SIGs suggested: smartphone (likely android & iOS separate), social media, linux?
Take Home Message: there are a range of things members would like us to do, but unless more volunteers step forward to help do such, they wont happen and the group wont have a future!
Playing with Tables